Forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-13 18:52:21

RichieW13

What do the MPG numbers mean?

If I look at a car's MPG history, what am I looking at:
_no_links_www.mpgtune.com/miles-per-gallon-mpg-ratings-lookup.php?mode=SEARCH&id=14518&year=1994&make=Eagle&model=Summit#R

For instance, in the above link, I see the following:

City MPG (Sticker): 26mpg
I assume all the (Sticker) ratings are the advertised ratings for the cars when sold new.

What do the unadjusted ratings mean?

The first row says City MPG: 23

I assume the first row is data provided by users on this site?  If so, how do you separate City/Highway when users don't have a method to  supply that info?

Finally - a feature request I would have is to maybe list the number of different cars that are tracked on mpgtune, the total miles and the average miles per car.

For instance, in the Eagle Summit that I listed above, if MPG users are getting 26mpg in that car, I would like to know if that rating comes from one user who has logged a total of 100 miles in his car, or if it comes from 200 users who have combined to enter data for 500,000 miles.

#2 2008-06-13 19:30:08

support team
Administrator

Re: What do the MPG numbers mean?

Dear RichieW13,

You are absolutely correct, sticker MPG values are those that were on sticker when car was sold new.
From year 2008 Environmental Protection Agency created new rules for MPG values to account for higher speeds, A/C use, etc, so MPG values for vehicles 2008 and newer are not comparable to sticker MPG values for vehicles prior to 2008, so we had to adjust sticker values to be comparable with MPG ratings for new cars, and that's what first row of MPG values shows.
For more information on this topic please please see this post:
_no_links_www.mpgtune.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29&n=We+added+EPA+MPG+estimages+for+2008+and+adjusted+previous+year%27s+data

To read more about unadjusted values please check out this link:
_no_links_www.mpgtune.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6&n=Unadjusted+Highway+EPA+MPG%3F

As to average MPG values that our users are getting - we currently do not have a page to display such information, but we have plans to create such page in near future.
Also within 2 weeks we are going to add driving style option to every fill-up record to track city/highway percentages for each fill-up.

Thanks and have a great day!

#3 2008-06-17 22:43:53

RichieW13

So which number reflects data supplied by mpgtune users?

#4 2008-06-18 16:18:05

support team
Administrator

Currently we do not display anywhere average MPG for data supplied by our user. We are planning to add a new page to display such information within a month.

Thanks and have a great day!

#5 2008-06-18 23:22:42

RichieW13

[quote=support team]Currently we do not display anywhere average MPG for data supplied by our user. We are planning to add a new page to display such information within a month.

Thanks and have a great day![/quote]
Very good.  When I first came to this site, I assumed that all the MPG data was based on user information.

That's good you are implementing it, because that's the information I really want.  I don't care what a car is "supposed" to get - I want to know what it actually gets.

Board footer